Being rooted sounds like staying put.
Like settling in, planting yourself, refusing to move. And for some people in some seasons, that's exactly what it looks like. A deliberate, courageous stillness in the face of pressure to drift.
But a tree's roots don't make it stationary. They make it mobile in a different way. They allow the branches to move dramatically, freely, in ways that would be dangerous without the underground stability holding everything in place. The deeper the roots, the more the tree can bend without breaking.
Rootedness in faith and purpose works the same way.
Some of the biggest moves of my life were only possible because of what was anchored underneath. These were decisions that looked from the outside like significant risk, like leaving the familiar for something uncertain. I couldn't have made them without that anchor. The faith that had been built slowly in the quiet seasons. The clarity about what mattered that had come through the difficult ones. The community that held me in place even as the circumstances shifted.
I couldn't have moved without the roots. The roots are what made the movement safe.
I think creative people especially can feel a false tension between being grounded and being adventurous. As if stability and risk are opposites. They're not. The most grounded people I know are often the bravest. And it's all because they're solidly rooted.
You don't have to choose between being anchored and being alive to possibility. The anchor is what makes the possibility survivable.
Has being grounded in faith, community, or purpose ever made it possible for you to take a risk you couldn't have taken otherwise? I'd love to hear about it in the comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment